Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A penny saved

As of the first of the year, in and effort to cut down some of our spending and get some bills paid off, we started paying more attention to the grocery store sales and cutting coupons. I saw a couple blogs with tips and decided to give it another go.

We used to use coupons all the time when we first got married and especially when we first had kids. Diapers and formula are expensive! But we got out of the habit of it. It takes time.

Well, just in this first month we've made quite a difference. During one shopping trip we cut the bill nearly in half with all the sales and coupons. I won't say we're great at it yet. If you've got any tips or blogs worth reading about saving money let me know. But I'm happy with our start. And while in that first month we didn't actually spend any less on groceries (we stocked up on a bunch of things that were on sale and we had coupons for) we do have A LOT more to show for the money we spent!

We're also trying to cut our spending on eating out. That is where I think we can save quite a bit. We tend to get lazy sometimes and if we don't feel like cooking dinner we'll just order pizza. If we head out for errands in the morning we always seem to end our outing with a stop for lunch. So far for February we're on the right track.

I'm just such a sucker for eating out and not having to cook myself!!

1 comment:

Aim said...

good job with the coupons. I always have the best of intentions but no follow through. Sorry i'm making you eat out on Thursday! :-)