Friday, March 13, 2009

Flashback Friday: First Crush

I'm not talking about the first crush you had on someone else. How about the first time you realized someone had a crush on you? Not like when little Johnny chased you on the play ground in first grade. The first time you realized some one was actually attracted to you and you know "liked" you, liked you! lol For some reason I've been thinking about that the last couple days. Maybe because my daughter is about that age and wondering when it will happen with her.

My story is around the time I was maybe 14ish. I really don't remember exactly what year it was. It was Christmas time. My brother, parents and I drove from WI back to MA to visit our family back there. We went to my uncle's house one night. I had 3 boy cousins there that were older than me. The oldest 2 weren't home but the youngest was and he had a friend over. Uh-oh!

I noticed from the very beginning that something was up. His friend kept watching me and it freaked me out! At that point I had had absolutely no experience with boys yet. I was very shy and we were living in a fairly new city and I didn't really even have any friends to speak of. It was making me kind of nervous so I was sticking pretty close to my parents that night.

Then it was time for dinner. We had just ordered pizza that they brought back home. Most everyone was in the kitchen and dining room area, but my cousin and friend were upstairs in his room. The pizza was set up on a counter that divided the kitchen from the dining room, I was sitting in the dining room facing that counter. He would stare at me every time he came down for pizza. I say every time because he made several trips. You know teenage boys, they eat a lot! Instead of making one trip and taking his 5 or 6 pieces. He would come down and get one piece, then head up for a few minutes. Then he'd come down for one more. It was quite obvious.

Then after dinner he and my cousin wanted to go down in the basement to play pool and they invited me to go down too. Nope, absolutely not! lol
After much nagging from the rest of my family (did they not realize what was going on and that I was scared to death?) I finally went down for a bit. But only to the bottom of the stairs and watched from across the basement. They were probably 20-25 feet away from me. They kept telling me to come over. Nope, I'm fine right here!
I stayed for maybe 15 minutes and made a break for it.

I don't remember where my brother was during all this. He would have been about 9 or 10 though so not sure what he could have done to "protect" me! I'm not sure what I thought was going to happen either, but I wanted no part of it!

So what about you, do you remember when it happened to you? Were you flattered, excited, grossed out or scared to death like me?



2 comments:

Amy said...

Funny you should ask! My 12 yr old just asked me the same thing a couple days ago. Wonder what is going on with HER! Yikes.

Anyway, I don't really remember anyone liking me at a younger age. Not until I was like 17. Maybe I was too immature to really pick up on that. Thankfully I outgrew it :)

Aim said...

That's a great post. I can't even remember if that ever happened. i must have blocked it out. LOL. I have a couple of awards for you over at my blog. stop by and check them out.